November 1, 2015 by Scott - Saws on Skates
Hey there Skatemates! How was your Halloween? It’s time to adjust your clocks, change your smoke detector batteries and recover from your candy coma! October is over and now we flip our calendars to No Shave November. Anyone else participating and not shaving this November? I did it for the first time last year and I’m gonna do it again this year. Beard progression pics to follow 🙂
In the Kitchen
I cook way more in the fall and winter than I do in the summer months, so I thought I would add a new feature called “In the Kitchen” for the next few months. Here’s the recipes for the meals I made this weekend. First up was a minestrone soup and the second was a crock pot rotisserie style chicken – this recipe is one of my favs!
I didn’t just cook this weekend. Oh no. I also made some sawdust. I continued on with my winterizing efforts… a storm window for the bathroom and replacing a bulkhead door. Should I turn either of these projects into an actual “how to” plan? Let me know if you would like to see them featured.
Last week some of the storm window measurements were wrong. Notice I said the measurements were wrong, not that I measured incorrectly. When in doubt, blame it on the measurements! I was able to finish assembling the storm window frame despite the measurement set back last weekend. This weekend, I routed a rabbet for the glass, made weep holes and purchased the glass.
First I routed the rabbet, then I squared up the corners with a chisel. They actually make a tool to do this in one shot, but I don’t have the need to square corners very often, so a chisel works for me.
The last thing was to make “weep holes” in the bottom of the frame. The weep holes allow any water trapped behind the storm window to drain out. To make the weep holes I determined the hole locations, clamped some scrap wood to the bottom of the frame, marked the location of the hole with an awl and used a 1/4″ Forstner bit to drill the hole. This method leaves half the hole in the scrap and half the hole in the frame.
A while back I needed to replace my rusted bulkhead doors. I researched all of the available store bought options and none seemed to fit with the 1850s character of my house. Then I searched for wood bulkhead door plans and found the September 2005 issue of Fine Homebuilding had an article called “Better-Looking Bulkhead Doors”. I immediately ordered a back copy of the issue. I used the article as a template for my bulkhead door redo. Now that I have the blog, I wish I had taken more pics of the process.
Last year I replaced the left hand door and this year I need to replace the right hand door. What’s strange is both doors have rotted at the lower hinge.
I cut all of the new pieces and then brought them out to the garage for assembly. I don’t have a space large and flat enough for assembly in the shop. I also don’t have clamps long enough for this piece, so check out that clever clamping action!
For some added weather protection I gave all of the parts a quick coat of stain before assembly. The tongue and groove pieces are kinda long to deal with in the shop, and it was sunny day, so those were stained outside. Meanwhile in the shop, my workbench doubled as a paint station for the door frame.
“How to” Video
Did you see my first “how to” video for my No Miter Cut Picture Frame plans? You can check out the video below. More videos will be coming soon. I’m thinking the next video will be for my second most popular project, How to: Make a Dog Gate.
The October Giveaway winner was selected at random, has been contacted and the winner is… Kris M. from Maryland! Congrats Kris! Thank you to everyone who signed up to follow along. I hope you’re enjoying the posts and DIY plans. I’m always open to suggestions, so don’t hesitate to post a comment or shoot me message at firstname.lastname@example.org. New giveaways will be coming soon!
Sunday Sneak Peek
Here’s a sneak peek for the new plans that will be posted this week. The plans are for my vintage style Jelly Cabinet.
Have a good week!